Saturday, April 30, 2011

Why Zipperhead?

My medical journey has been long and I have told the story too many times over, so I'm not going to do that again. Basically, all you have to know is that I am a Zipperhead. So, what is a Zipperhead, anyway?

The condition that I have been struggling with started with a birth defect called a Chiari Malformation. Patients with Chiari often need to have repeat surgeries at the base of the skull. I have had four of these so far and fancy myself as a bit of a neurosurgery guru these days. Because of the tendency for them to be opened up again so many times, Chiari patients are often referred to as Zipperheads. The nickname grew on me and I have embraced it as one of my labels. There are also plans to get a tattoo of a zipper in the vicinity of my scar.


The condition that I have now been diagnosed with is called occipital neuralgia. This is a nerve problem that is difficult to deal with. My occipital nerve has had enough and is in a constant state of unhappiness due to the trauma of so many surgeries and procedures. The link at the top of this post can give you more information on this affliction.


One of the unfortunate things that comes with being a Zipperhead is the continuation of medical mysteries. Being 22, it may not seem surprising that I am awake at quarter to one in the morning. Unfortunately, I'm not up partying. I'm not up studying. I'm not up with friends. I'm not up for any reason other than I'm in too much pain to sleep.

Yay for Zipperheads.

2 comments:

StephanieLynn said...

hi!!!! :) i just stumbled accross this blog. i'm a zipper head as well! i had my surgery when i was 12! i'm now 19 :) o.o i've only had once surgery, hopefully i don't have any more! D: i'd love to hear more from your blog!

Sleepin Caterpillar awaiting Spring said...

Im also a chiarian and zipperhead (11-29-04) and am 42 yrs old...glad to have found your blog and hope youre doing ok..xo