Saturday, October 8, 2011

OwieKate ZipperHead

If you did not read the article from the New York Times tying kids' poor attention spans to the television show SpongeBob SquarePants, then please click on the title of this post.

I am into my fifth hour (yes, fifth) of watching episodes of SpongeBob because my head hurts too much to go out. I had invites to two different parties that I had to decline because even sitting up cause my head to spin and invisible needles to poke me all over the pace. My whole body aches. Every single time that I get like this, I feel old. Really old. I have to get up carefully, not only so I don't get disoriented and fall over, but because my joints hurt. For the first few steps I take, my back is hunched.

Now, after reading about the amount of pain I'm in a read might ask why I'm watching SpongeBob. The show is loud, fast and (let's face it) it can be downright annoying. I love SpongeBob. I don't have to think when I watch it. It keeps my brain off my pain for at least a while after after I stop watching. Sometimes, a mindless show taking up all of a brain's ability to focus is just what a chronic pain patient needs.

No comments: