Scar tissue sucks. For those of you who have ever had surgery or just a bad scrape, you know some of what I'm talking about. Did you know that scar tissue pops and crackles? Yeah, I didn't either.
I have been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Type III mitis. It really isn't that big of a deal and is usually just referred to as "loose joint syndrome." Unfortunately, even though it is a very mild form, this diagnoses means that I have a connective tissue disorder. The biggest complaints that I have from this particular ailment manifest in easily rolled, sprained and hyper-extended joints. The part that stinks when it comes to scar tissue can be summed up in two words: keloidal scarring. When there is keloidal scarring at an injury site, the tissue does not heal normally and causes bumpy, itchy, shiny, rubbery, firm tissue growth. The scarring on the inside is affected as well.
Because of my connective tissue disorder and the four times they have cut open the same spot on the back of my head, I have more than my fair share of of scar tissue built up underneath my skin. The place that I notice it most is at the base of my skull. Every time I turn my head or look up or down, I can hear the scar tissue crackling. For some reason, the sound has gotten to me today. Sometimes I just can't even stand being inside my own body because it's too weird. But, how many people can say they know exactly what scar tissue sounds like when it pops and crackles?
Besides, at least it's not as bad as when the titanium pops. That particular metallic noise is my least favorite thing in the world. Not only is it weird to hear coming from your own neck, it hurts like hell. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often at all. Makes the scar tissue seem like not such a big deal, actually...
I have been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Type III mitis. It really isn't that big of a deal and is usually just referred to as "loose joint syndrome." Unfortunately, even though it is a very mild form, this diagnoses means that I have a connective tissue disorder. The biggest complaints that I have from this particular ailment manifest in easily rolled, sprained and hyper-extended joints. The part that stinks when it comes to scar tissue can be summed up in two words: keloidal scarring. When there is keloidal scarring at an injury site, the tissue does not heal normally and causes bumpy, itchy, shiny, rubbery, firm tissue growth. The scarring on the inside is affected as well.
Because of my connective tissue disorder and the four times they have cut open the same spot on the back of my head, I have more than my fair share of of scar tissue built up underneath my skin. The place that I notice it most is at the base of my skull. Every time I turn my head or look up or down, I can hear the scar tissue crackling. For some reason, the sound has gotten to me today. Sometimes I just can't even stand being inside my own body because it's too weird. But, how many people can say they know exactly what scar tissue sounds like when it pops and crackles?
Besides, at least it's not as bad as when the titanium pops. That particular metallic noise is my least favorite thing in the world. Not only is it weird to hear coming from your own neck, it hurts like hell. Luckily, that doesn't happen very often at all. Makes the scar tissue seem like not such a big deal, actually...
1 comment:
I could hear my chest scab. I could only hear it when I got up in the morning coupled with searing pain as it ripped apart from the movement. But that only lasted for less than a full week. That really sucks honey. Sending hugs through the internet is hard but I hope you feel it.
EM
Post a Comment