Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What's Better Than Milk and Cookies?

Sometimes you've just had enough. I hit that point yesterday and ended up ranting and venting to a couple of unsuspecting friends who stopped by the house to grab a couple things and go. How I managed to get them both sitting at my table so I could prop myself up by the hip on my counter and let go.

While ranting with no clear idea of where my words were taking me, I was reminded of how amazing the human body can be. I have been pushing myself the past few days to get everything done that I had to get done. I would wake up, get ready for the day and, as I was struggling with just the task of getting dressed, I would tell myself, "You just have to make it until [fill in the blank] is over." Somehow, I would find a way to push my pain down and get everything done before getting home and crashing on the couch. 

For a lot of people, going home and crashing on the couch is an amazing treat at the end of the day. Crack open a beer, turn on the TV, hang out with the family and get a break from the daily grind. For me, getting home to crash on the couch is an activity I just have to deal with. Crack open the morphine, curl into the fetal position, don't talk to anyone and hold for an hour. After that initial hour, I can usually relax enough to distract myself with a show or some cross-stitch. 

My way of dealing with the unhappiness is with a rewards system. For instance, I had to be non-medicated and on the ball yesterday until about four o'clock. After that, I performed my couch crash routine, vented to my captives and then had to decide what I could do to make me feel a little better. Something not stressful that could provide me with enough fun to make it impossible for me not to smile. 

So I baked giant chocolate chip cookies while not wearing pants. 

Don't think about it too hard. Just conceptualize the comfort that activity can provide. That's one of the best rewards you can give yourself. Whether you are having to deal with physical pain, emotional trauma, job stress, family turmoil or you just need an escape from your regular routine, give pants-less baking a try!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm hate that you have to endure the pain, but love your story.

Hang in there.

Cathy