Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Update - Electronic Stimulator

Well, this blog is getting a bit of a face lift.

In order to get a hold on my pain, we have all (my doctors and family) come to the realization that the best option for me would be an electronic stimulator. This procedure will be performed by a doctor in Denver (who we will refer to as Dr. Denver) and is the only we option we have left aside from severing my head from the rest of my body. The electronic pulses from the stimulator will keep my occipital nerve busy so that the pain can be controlled. I will have a remote control so that I can increase my level of stimulation if I have a spike in pain.

I went through a long process of talking to Dr. Denver and his staff, filling out tons of paperwork and even getting a psychological evaluation done. Once we had jumped through all the loops we got a letter from the insurance company stating that they would not cover the costs of that procedure. Although the device itself is not experimental, the placement for occipital nerve pain is still in the process of being approved by the FDA. Now we are going to have to fight though an appeals process and hope for the best.

Since I have had to stop working completely, I am going to be doing a lot of confessing on this blog. Probably not the exciting sort of confessing that comes to most of your minds, but the confessions I make here are still difficult for me. I spend all of my energy to not let my pain win and this is the only medium that I am comfortable admitting how much suffering I go through. With the added stress of appealing the insurance company's decision, I have discovered that I need a way to get through it.

If anyone out there has good suggestions for dealing with insurance companies, please let me know. And, if the appeal isn't accepted, we're going to need some amazing deals and a ton of help for a few spectacular fundraising campaigns.

No comments: